So, your checked luggage got damaged by the airline? If you read the previous article, you already know that the airline is responsible for covering this. But, to file a claim is not always the easiest thing to do! That is why we have made this 5-step guide on how to claim back money:
1. Take photos that shows the damage and the brand of the luggage.
2. Report the damage to the local Baggage Service Office of your carrier before leaving the airport. If you discover the damage after leaving the airport, you have 7 days to come back and report it.
3. Fill out the PIR (Property Irregularity Report) they hand you
4. File a claim on the respectable airlines web-site within 7 days (For Norwegian here, and for SAS here). Remember to include the PIR-dokument, photos and documentation that shows the age and price of the product (i.e. a receipt)
5. Wait to see if the airline accept your claim or not
Keep in mind that all airlines have slightly different guidelines and rules, please also check the airlines websites for more specific info. Regardless of which airline you're flying, be sure to keep track of the reference number for your claim to track the status online.